Tuesday, January 8, 2008

WW I Travel Diary (15pp)


This is an old fifteen-page hand-written letter from the papers of Jacob Obrecht [copy courtesy PK].

Any context or clues to dates, locations, or people are greatly appreciated.

Click on each image for a larger version.

Pages a, b, & c:



Pages d, e, & f:


Pages g, h, & i:


Pages j, k, & l:


Pages m, n, & o:


"It is the diary of a travel from July 16 to September 16 [1914], from America (Chicago) to Kunheim (Alsace) where he came from. He was in Alsace when the First world war began..." [Thanks, mawag25!]

Following is a rough (Google) translation, based on a transcription done by P. Hirtz:

I will talk a little about my trip to Germany. It was said to me that I can take the German or English language. Chose the German language. I looked forward to my trip to the old home to my mother to visit, which I have not seen more than 27 years. With a heavy heart I took leave of the family. At 11 clock am, the 16 July 1914 the Train from Chicago went off, at the Erin Road. Drove through Indiana, Ohio, through the mountains of Pennsylvania, and New York, where there were some beautiful views. Came at 8 clock in the evening at the 17th in Jersey City. From the station we took the subway to Hoboken. July the 18th at 11 clock in the morning we went to the ship, the Emperor, which is a very large and beautiful ship. Goods it 4000 passengers. At 12 clock went off the ship. The weather is nice and the sea is calm.

July the 19th a beautiful Sunday morning. Also thought to you here in the Wicanson Street Church. Run up to noon today 471 Email
July the 20th again a beautiful day, lead 552 Email
The 21th: the weather is still nice, lead 556 Email
The 22nd: Today light fog and cooler weather, leading 546 Email
July the 23th, a cold and dreary day, thick fog, lead 543 Email
July the 24th, the weather beautiful, the French coast came into view. It was pleased to see again the country. Lunch at 12 clock held the ship. Then it went into a smaller vessel. After a half hour drive to get to Cherbourg, France. It felt good to be back on land. To 3Uhr45 walked from the train to Paris. Arrived at 9 clock in Paris. Then we went to another station, bought a ticket to Strasbourg, Paris left 10 Uhr45 evening.
July the 25th, drove all night. Towards morning drove past at Toul. My neighbor was a young Frenchman, he spoke some English and German. He told me "if it even should be a war, the French, the Germans are stuck as Toul believe. Because very strong forts are there. I was quite frightened and asked him whether is talked of war? He said "no". In Lunéville he quit. Now think of him often. At 6 clock in the morning I was in Avricourt. That is the limit. Here you had to get out. The luggage is examined. Then it went into a German railroad train. At 8am, I arrived in Strasbourg. Now I am again in Strasbourg had already heard and read much of it. Also thought the song "O du Strasbourg beautiful city". Therein lies buried so many beautiful and also a brave soldier. Now come to more! But kept me on not long, because my plan was to come back later to see the city and the cathedral. Also have a dear aunt, the deaconess was here, and I wanted to visit her grave. Was my plan to nothing by the war.
Bought a ticket for Kolmar. At 9 clock went off the train. It was a beautiful drive where you saw the Vosges with its castles. Wanted to visit the Hochkönigsburg what did not come to execution. At 10 clock I arrived in Colmar, filled glad to be back. After several hours of stay we took the train to Munzenheim. From there I drove a friend to Kunheim my home village. He asked me what he should stop at the house, he said I knew the house no longer, because a new house is built, and I have not seen it yet. But he remembers. My brother, his son, who were in the street, who cried "Uncle, uncle," and called the mother. Then there was a happy reunion.
The 26 July: Sunday again wanted this afternoon after Munzenheim go to church. The rain overtook it. In the evening we had bed hour in our church in Kunheim, what law was blessed to have 65 members here.
THE 27TH: a cloudy and cool day. The newspapers, there will be war.
The 28th July: Today the preacher came to the evening preaching. He said the war clouds are warp again.
July 29: Mass rules were made for the war already. The newspapers carried the war is no longer to smelt.
To 31 July: Today evening after 10 clock soldiers came to the village and have proclaimed a state of war. 5 young men went away at once to the military. They went away very happy. Then there were long and full day care. Then came the 6 mobilization; 6 days ago, it had continued every day some. For married men it was to go away schwehr: they separated from his wife and children and yet they went boldly. A brother Reinhart, his brother in law where he said goodbye to me, he said "we know of no return and if everyone does his duty, we will prevail."
August the 1first: soldiers came into the village early on the morning to prepare pioneers around the bridges to blow up. Some stayed for guard there. All men of 17 too 45 years where would not be a soldier, were assigned to work -Kompanien. The need to build entrenchments.
There was now to see something different every day. Saw many soldiers and guns .......... as they shot them. Also wounded seen as they brought from the battlefield. Heard whole days the thunder of cannon and French songs. We also had a number of male soldiers in ......... which already had several skirmishes took part. Have pictures taken of what. Met in Kolmar 2 men and a woman from Denison, Iowa and a woman from Philadelphia. Were there to speak as one can come to America again.
I approached the nearest American consul. Who let me know that every week a ship from Rotterdam to America travels. So also came back the time where you had to say goodbye, which was not easy. I had spent wonderful days with my mother. Sheaths hurts!
August 31 morning 9 clock, I left my home again. My brother drove me to Breisach in Baden. From there take the train to Freiburg in Baden. From there to Frankfurt, where I had a day's stay. Visited also has the palm garden where brother Schwartz saw as many flowers. It is a very nice park. Then we went to Cologne, visited the cathedral where I ... ..... the bells proclaimed a German victory. From there we go to Rotterdam where I arrived 9 clock on 3 September evening. On the 4th, the evening 8 clock we went to the ship, which departed on 2nd clock in the morning, the 5th.
Then came on the 15th morning 8 Clock in New York. Am 2 clock in the afternoon we took the train to Chicago, where I arrived on the 16th 5 clock afternoon. At 6 clock I was safe and sound back at home. What I thanked God that he has protected us from misfortune and danger.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I am a descendent of Jacob and Anna Obrecht. How can I see the original German letter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can click each image to see a larger readable version.

      There's a link to email me at the bottom of this page:
      http://spears.infiniteancestors.com/
      You must be a cousin I haven't met yet, so please contact me.

      Delete